Features cooking Idaho potatoes
Usual and familiar to many potatoes can be cooked in many different ways. One of them is a delicious and fragrant Idaho potato.
What is this dish?
Idaho potatoes can be attributed to the American cuisine, and in the United States it is also as popular as the favorite deep-fried French fries. But it is worth noting that the recipe has absorbed the traditions of several cuisines, in particular the Mediterranean and French, in which it is customary to use vegetable oils and herbs to flavor products.
Often, the dish is called potatoes in a country style, which is due to the relative simplicity of cooking. What could be simpler: young potatoes in their skins, oil, salt and herbs. The name was given in honor of the American state of Idaho, in which the product is the main crop and popular food product.
What kind of potatoes to choose?
To prepare a dish, the young potato is ideal.Cleaning under the terms of the recipe is not carried out, and therefore the skin must be thin and not stiff. The optimal size is medium, although large tubers will allow to get large beautiful slices, which is allowed and even welcomed. A small potato can be cut in half or, if desired, used whole.
The product must be fresh and of high quality. On tubers there can be no signs of rotting: they should be smooth and dense, without stains, dents and darkening. And in order for the dish to turn out not only tasty but also useful, it is important to choose potatoes without nitrates, purchasing them from a trusted seller.
How tasty and easy to cook the famous Idaho potato? We offer several methods differing in features of heat treatment.
This is a classic recipe used by many cooks and allows you to get the perfect golden potato without much effort.
You will need a set of products:
- half a kilo of young potatoes;
- a third cup of vegetable oil (sunflower, olive);
- a bunch of green dill;
- a full tablespoon of mustard;
- two garlic cloves;
- salt (adjust the amount yourself according to personal preferences).
Description of preparation:
- Potatoes should be thoroughly washed. Since cleaning is not carried out, try to remove all traces of earth from the surface. To do this, you can use a brush.
- Now each tuber must be cut into slices. Their number depends on the size of the potato, and the size - on your preferences and wishes. Large slices look more attractive and aesthetically pleasing, and small ones are more convenient to eat.
- Heat water in a saucepan, add a little salt. When it boils, lay the sliced potatoes and boil it for two or three minutes after boiling again. It should not be completely ready. Semi-prepared slices can be put in a colander for draining excess liquid.
- Now prepare a peculiar sauce for smearing potatoes. To start, clean and chop the garlic in any way: it is more convenient and quicker to pass it through the press. Dill need to wash, dry, chop finely with a knife. Then simply combine the butter with garlic, mustard, salt and chopped dill.
- Pour the potato slices with the prepared mustard-oil sauce, mix them thoroughly and leave at least twenty minutes for soaking.
- Prepare a baking sheet or pan and place your marinated slices.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven, preheated to 170 or 180 degrees, for about half an hour. As a result, you get fragrant and ruddy Idaho potatoes.
If there is no oven, or you do not know how (do not want) to use it, then it is quite possible to cook a dish in a pan, but this is a bit more complicated than the method described above. You need these ingredients:
- kilogram of young potatoes;
- ten tbsp. l. vegetable oil;
- three garlic cloves;
- some ground black pepper (you can use a mixture of peppers);
- The first thing to wash the potatoes is to remove any dirt from the surface. Then cut the tubers into medium-sized slices.
- Boil water in a saucepan, salt it a little and boil the potatoes for three minutes to soften slightly.
- Peel the garlic, chop.
- Drain the boiled slices, cover them with thoroughly mixed butter, pepper, chopped garlic and salt.
- Heat some butter in a pan. When it starts to bubble, put the potatoes.Fry it on one side for three minutes on medium heat, then gently stir it in order not to damage it. Stir two or three more times so that the slices are fried and browned on all sides.
- To remove excess oil, you can put the potatoes on a paper towel.
Modern housewives can try to make a dish in the crock-pot. List of desired products:
- 10 potatoes;
- three cloves of garlic;
- 70 ml of vegetable oil;
- Wash potatoes, cut into slices.
- Turn on the slow cooker, select the stewing program, pour water into the bowl, and after boiling, lay out the potatoes, cook for three minutes.
- Drain water, pour the slices with a mixture of chopped greens, butter, chopped garlic and salt.
- Choose a baking mode and cook potatoes on it for half an hour, setting the timer for this time.
A few tips for hostess:
- You can use any dried or fresh herbs if desired: parsley, dill, basil, cilantro, Provencal herbs, and so on.
- To give the dish a savory taste add spices and seasonings: ground ginger, curry.
- It is important not to overcook the potatoes and not to overdo it in the oven, otherwise it will darken and get a burning taste.
How to serve the dish?
Idaho potatoes - a great hearty side dish to various hot dishes. It goes well with meat, chicken, fish. Vegetables can be served with potatoes: fresh, baked in the oven or cooked on the grill. Slices to give attractiveness can be sprinkled with fresh herbs.
Potatoes in a rustic way may well act as an independent snack. And to eat it was even tastier and more interesting, use the sauce. Cheese, mustard, tomato, creamy garlic, sweet and sour and almost any other will do. More simple and accessible to all options - mayonnaise, mustard and sour cream.
Tip: the dish is best eaten freshly cooked hot, but cold it will be no less tasty.
Prepare a delicious Idaho potato and serve it for dinner or even for a festive table. The dish will surely please everyone.
Homemade Spruce Soap
Bagels - traditional and tasty delicacy
Do I need a license for beer