What is jelly?
Студень - favorite by many a satisfying dish. Do you know how it appeared, how to prepare it correctly?
What is this dish, how did it come about?
Jelly, or as it is called otherwise, aspic, is a dish made from rich broth that has thickened and acquired a gelatinous texture as a result of cooling. Jelly is known for a long time - since the XVI century, and it is not a kind of aspic, as many believe, as it is prepared without gelling additives. But how does the characteristic consistency? The ingredients are all about the ingredients: portions of pig carcases or cows with cartilage are used, and this is real natural gelatin.
The history of the appearance of jelly is very simple. According to one of the legends, this dish arose quite by accident: since ancient times, people cooked rich and nourishing broths, and in order for the whole family to eat, they would add meat, and many different parts of carcasses.
But the liquid froze during cooling, so I had to warm it up every time.And the enterprising French decided to use this property and came up with a galantine dish, which was prepared from pork, beef and game. A traditional jelly was considered the dish of the poor: it was obtained from the remnants of the cooled broth and offered to the servants. There is also an opinion that the jelly was introduced by French chefs during the heyday of the Russian aristocracy.
Jelly is well known in the CIS countries. Such a name is common in the northern regions, but in the southern regions it is more common - the cold. There are also some varieties with individual names: Georgian husbands, brawn (the word is derived from the German "aspic"), Polish gareret, Ukrainian dragoi, Bulgarian patch, and so on.
What is cooked from?
Traditionally, the jelly is made from beef, and usually such parts of the carcass as tails, head, feet with hooves, meat, and sometimes brains are used. If pork is used, you can add feet, tails and ears to the cold. In principle, the dish can also be made from poultry, but in this case you will have to add additional gelling ingredients, and this will be a departure from the traditional recipe.
How to cook?
How to cook a real jelly? We propose to consider several ways.
To cook classic jelly, you will need:
- about 2 kg of beef legs with bones and meat;
- 500-700 grams of beef pulp;
- two carrots;
- 7-9 cloves of garlic;
- two teaspoons of peppercorns;
- Begin cooking with beef legs. You can use shanks, they have more meat. Rinse them, then lay them in a large and sufficiently deep pan, fill with water (it should cover feet by ten centimeters) and put on fire.
- Now prepare the vegetables. Peel onions and cut into two or four pieces. Wash carrots and chop them. Next, fry vegetables in a pan, but without adding oil (they should get a light brown shade, but not burn).
- When the broth boils, it is necessary to reduce the heat and remove all the resulting foam. After this, put fried carrots with onion and four or five cloves of garlic into the pan. Boil beef legs for at least five hours.
- Now add pulp to the broth (you can cut it first, but this is optional).
- Cook the cold for another two or three hours, fifteen minutes before removing from the plate, add salt.
- Then remove the beef legs and flesh, remove the bones and chop the meat, place it in a container in which the dish will harden. Carrots with onions can be thrown away, they will no longer be needed (these components were used exclusively for flavor, taste and light shade).
- Strain the broth using a cloth or gauze folded several times. Then put it to stew again and simmer for about fifteen minutes, adding the remaining chopped or grated garlic, as well as more salt.
- Next, pour the broth with meat, leave the container in a cool room, and when the contents cool down a little, send the jelly to the refrigerator for at least five hours, and preferably all night, so that it will cool well.
No less tasty, but easier jelly can be made from chicken. The list of ingredients includes:
- about 2 kg of chicken, namely, wings, necks, ham (that is, those parts in which there is cartilage, because they are necessary for solidification);
- large carrots;
- onion head;
- three or four cloves of garlic;
- one stalk of celery;
- ten peas of black pepper;
- several bay leaves;
- Wash all parts of the chicken well and put sufficient volumes into the pan. Vegetables also need to prepare: peel the onions with garlic, wash the carrots. Next, cut the onions into slices, carrots and celery - medium circles, garlic - small pieces of medium size. All this, too, put in the pan.
- Pour the vegetables with chicken with water so that it completely covers all the products. Put the pan on the fire and cook for at least two hours, and about one and a half hours after boiling the broth, add garlic, peppercorns and bay leaves. The resulting foam should be removed! And almost at the very end put salt.
- When the cartilage starts to separate from the bones, remove the pan from the fire. Remove the vegetables and broth the broth to remove the bay leaf, pepper and garlic from it. Separate chicken from bones and in any way chop.
- Now put the pulp in the container, fill it with time to cool a little broth. When the dish is warm or gets a room temperature, send it to the refrigerator and keep it there all night.
Tip: if you're worried that the chicken broth will get cold, add a little gelatin to it, which will make the consistency more dense.
A few recommendations:
- It is important to boil the broth for a long time so that the cartilage gives away all the natural gelling components necessary for solidification.
- Strain the broth is optional, although this procedure will make it more beautiful and transparent. But bring the liquid to a boil after the extraction of the meat is necessary.
- Do not immediately remove the hot dish in the refrigerator, it should cool gradually, so first leave it in the kitchen or in another cooler room, and only then cool completely.
- Any recipe can be supplemented with your favorite seasonings and spices, but they should not be too much, after all, the main thing must be the aroma and taste of meat.
- Serve jelly best with horseradish or mustard.
Be sure to cook jelly for households or guests. Bon Appetit!
Homemade Spruce Soap
Smoke generator on the remote control
Chocolate Cake with Cherry
Chicken with a spicy sweet-salty crust: a recipe with photos
Charlize Theron showed a figure in a swimsuit