What is marzipan?
If you have tried marzipan at least once, then you probably know how tasty such a delicacy is. If it is unknown to you, get to know him better and try to cook it at home.
What is marzipan?
Marzipan is a terrific dessert, which is a mixture of practically ground flour or almond powder, as well as sugar or sugar syrup. As a result, a rather dense plastic mass is obtained, the quality of which is determined by the content of almonds. Usually it is half, third or quarter, depending on the destination: for example, marzipan for making figurines should contain more sugar in order for the products to keep their shape and longer stored.
How did it come about?
There is no reliable information about the origin of marzipan, but there are many different versions. Some consider deception to be the birthplace of delicacies, others claim that it was invented by romantic French, and still others believe that the dessert was born in sunny Sicily.
It is believed that marzipan was first made by Italians, who in the crop year used almonds for cooking a variety of dishes. There is a whole legend that marzipan was invented at the Tallinn pharmacy, and it was initially considered a medicine, but later liked by many and became a popular delicacy.
Interesting: the name itself is considered to be German, but it originated from the Italian word marzzapane, which translates as “March Easter Bread”.
How to cook such a dessert?
How to cook real delicious marzipan? There are two main ways, and each will be discussed in detail.
This method is called cold, because the dessert does not heat up during cooking. The list of ingredients includes:
- a glass of almonds;
- a glass of powdered sugar.
Preparation is extremely simple:
- First, boil water in a saucepan, immerse unpeeled almonds in it and remove the container from the fire.
- After a minute, fold the nuts into a colander and pour over cold water. Next, remove the peel.
- Now cover the baking sheet with baking paper, put almonds on it and dry it for about ten or fifteen minutes in a preheated 120 degree oven.
- When the nuts are completely cooled, chop them in any way to get practically powder.
- Mix the nut composition with powdered sugar to make an elastic paste.
Tip: if the nuts are dry, and the plastic composition does not work, then you can add a whole egg or protein when kneading. For aroma, add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the mixture.
And this recipe suggests a hot cooking method, and soon you will understand why. Prepare the following foods:
- a glass of almonds;
- three or four tablespoons of sugar;
- a third cup of water.
- First, the almonds need to be cleaned by lowering it in cold water for an hour or hot for just a couple of minutes. After such preparation, the skin will be quickly removed.
- Now it should be almonds or fry in a dry frying pan for a couple of minutes, or at 170 degrees to dry in the oven for 5 minutes. But it is imperative that he does not start frying or darken, it will affect the taste and color of the finished delicacy.
- Next, you need to chop the nuts or in a blender or in a coffee grinder, to get a powdered mass.
- Take care of the preparation of the syrup.To do this, dissolve sugar in water, put the mixture on the fire and boil, stirring constantly to form a thick syrup.
- Add the almond mass to the syrup, mix well and remove the container from the fire.
- Allow the paste to cool and mix it with your hands to make it plastic.
How to use marzipan?
There are several options for the use of marzipan:
- You can cook delicious sweets: marzipan will be a wonderful filling (by the way, it is he who is the basis of the famous in Austria and the world of sweets "Mozart").
- From this delicacy you can make an original liqueur.
- You can make figurines from this sweet plastic mass and present them to relatives and friends as souvenirs.
- Some like to eat dessert in its purest form.
- If you decide to make a cake, then marzipan can play the role of a great filling. In addition, you can use it instead of glaze or mastic to cover the surface or decor.
Finally, some useful tips:
- Use only high-quality and fresh almonds, as the core of stale or stale will not allocate the right amount of oil, and the mass does not get elastic and elastic.
- If the recipe involves the addition of eggs, then remember that it must be very fresh and of high quality, since this product, which has not undergone heat treatment, may contain pathogenic microorganisms, for example, salmonella.
- To give the dessert a pleasant aroma, you can use various additives, for example, vanilla, rum or liqueur in small quantities, almond essence, rose water and so on. But without such ingredients marzipan will be no less tasty.
- The amount of sugar can vary, depending on the further application of marzipan. For example, if you want to make figurines out of it, the increased volume will give the bulk plasticity, as well as extend the shelf life of delicacies. And if the marzipan is used as a filling, then the almonds can be put more.
- Marzipan can be stored for several months, but it is advisable to keep it in the refrigerator or at least in a cool place. And if an egg is included, the shelf life is reduced to a week.
Such a dessert as a marzipan can be mastered even by the beginner mistress, after all it is simple in preparation, but it is very tasty!
Secrets of cooking an immaculate stew
Pierre Ducane: Happy people do not get fat
How to protect yourself from arbitrariness on the part of collectors
What does the title page look like?
Day cut glass - a real holiday, not a reason for jokes
Batman's Key Holder