3 Exercises to Get WIDE Masculine Shoulders FAST
How to Get Wider Shoulders
Wide shoulders are a desirable physical trait for many people. However, it can be difficult to get this kind of physique. If you are interested in building up your shoulder muscles with strength training exercises, then there are several great exercises that can help to target your shoulders. If you just want to get the look of wider shoulders without the work, then you can also try wearing certain types of clothing to make your shoulders appear wider. There are also some lifestyle changes that might help, such as improving your posture, losing weight, and building up your confidence.
Using Strength Training
Try partial side lateralsTry side laterals.One good exercise for building up your shoulder muscles is the side lateral raise. Start out with light weights and move up to heavier ones as you gain strength.
- To perform this exercise, hold some dumbbells in each of your hands and place your arms against the sides of your body.
- Then, raise the dumbbells up to they are parallel with your shoulders.
- Do three sets of 6 to 10 repetitions.
Perform upright rows with a wide gripPerform upright rows with a wide grip.Upright rows are also great for building wider shoulders. By performing upright rows with a wide grip, you can work the muscles on the outer edges of your shoulders and this may make it easier to widen your shoulders.
- To perform upright rows, grasp a low cable bar. With an overhand grip, pull the bar straight up and back, leading with the shoulder, pulling the bar back.
- Another option is to do rows using dumbbells. Stand next to a bench and place one knee on the bench. Then, place the hand on the same side of your body on the bench and grasp the dumbbell with your other hand. Pull the weight upwards lifting your elbow into the air behind you as you do so.
- Do three sets of 6 to 10 repetitions, or as many as you can do before you can’t do any more.
Try some rear deltoid raisesTry some rear deltoid raises.You can also work your rear deltoids to increase the width of your shoulders. These are similar to side deltoid raises, but you perform them while bent over.
- To do rear deltoid raises, bend over so that your back is parallel with the ground.
- Get a dumbbell in each hand that is light to moderate. The weight should not be so heavy you can’t lift it more than a few times.
- Then, begin raising the dumbbells out and away from your body until they are almost parallel with your back.
- Do three sets of 8 to 10 repetitions on each side.
Perform front deltoid raisesPerform front deltoid raises.You also have deltoid muscles in the front of your shoulders, which you can work by performing front deltoid raises. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Starting with your hand close to your body, begin lifting the dumbbell upwards and in front of your body.
- When the dumbbell is about at shoulder height, begin to lower it slowly back to its starting position.
- Do three sets of 8 to 10 repetitions on each side.
Do overhead pressesDo overhead presses.Pressing weights overhead will also help you to add bulk to your shoulders and make them look wider. Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and holding a dumbbell in each of your hands.
- To do the exercise, press the dumbbells straight upwards above your head and then bring them back down slowly.
- Do three sets of 8 to 10 repetitions.
Try wide-grip pull-upsTry wide-grip pull-ups.If you want to work with your own body weight, then doing pull-ups is a great option. Pull-ups will work your shoulder muscles along with your arm and back muscles at the same time. Using a wide grip will enhance the shoulder work as well.
- Grasp a pull-up bar with your hands a little wider than shoulder-width apart. Then, pull your body weight upwards until your chin reaches the bar. Do as many pull-ups as you can.
- If you can’t do regular pull-ups yet, then you can try doing assisted pull-ups with a machine. Most gyms have one of these machines. They use weights to counter your body weight and make the pull-up a little easier.
Perform pike-style push-upsPerform pike-style push-ups.Push-ups also use your body weight to work your upper body and core muscles. However, you can target your shoulder muscles more intensely if you do pike-style push-ups.
- To do pike-style push-ups you will need a weight lifting bench or a sturdy chair. Get into the push-up position in front of the bench or chair and then put your feet up on the chair.
- Use your hands to walk your upper body back towards the chair until you are in the pike position, which is similar to a headstand, but with your feet on the bench or chair. Your body should be bent at the waist.
- To do the exercise, lower your face down towards the ground by bending your arms. Then, when you are close to the ground, raise yourself back up.
- Repeat this exercise 8 to 10 times and do three sets.
- Keep in mind that this type of exercise should be done with caution because losing your grip or positioning for even a second could result in serious harm to the neck and spine.
Method 1 Quiz
Which exercise doesn’t require equipment?
Dressing for Wider Shoulders
Wear shoulder padsWear shoulder pads.Shoulder pads are a classic solution to narrow or small shoulders. Some clothes come with built in shoulder pads, such as blazers and coats.You might also be able to get away with putting shoulder pads on under a thick sweater.
- Be careful not to overstuff with shoulder pads or they will look too obvious.
Choose clothing that fits wellChoose clothing that fits well.Baggy clothing can actually make your shoulders look narrower, so it is best to avoid it. Instead, choose clothing that fits you well, such as fitted jeans and shirts.
- It is especially important to choose clothing that is fitted around your waist because this can help to create the V-shape that makes your shoulders look wider.
Try some horizontal stripesTry some horizontal stripes.Wearing horizontal stripes across your chest and shoulders can also make your shoulders look wider. Try wearing a sweater that has a stripe or two going across the chest and/or shoulder area.
Opt for white shirtsOpt for white shirts.White can make you seem like you have wider shoulders as well by making the top half of your body appear larger.Try wearing white dress shirts and t-shirts to see if this enhances the size of your shoulders.
Dress in layersDress in layers.You can take advantage of the effects of layering your clothes in the winter to give the look of wider shoulders. Try wearing a sweater over a long sleeved shirt, or layer a t-shirt over a waffle shirt.
- You can also try wearing two or three t-shirts in warmer weather to create this effect. However, make sure that the collars or sleeves of the other shirts don’t peak out or it may look odd. Wear a larger shirt over the others to hide the edges.
Method 2 Quiz
Why should you avoid baggy clothing?
Making Lifestyle Changes
Lose weight if you are overweightLose weight if you are overweight.Carrying extra weight around your waist can make your shoulders look smaller in comparison. Along with sculpting your shoulder muscles, try to lose weight to decrease the circumference of your waist. This will help to create a V-effect and make your shoulders look wider.
- To lose weight, you will need to reduce your overall caloric intake so that you are eating fewer calories than you burn. Try keeping a log of everything you eat to determine how many calories you consume and cut down as needed.
- Fill up on non-starchy vegetables, such as green beans, cauliflower, peppers, and zucchini to help reduce your overall caloric intake. You can also replace fatty proteins with lean proteins, such as skinless chicken, turkey burgers, tofu, and eggs.
Stand up straightStand up straight.Good posture can make you seem thinner and enhance your shoulders at the same time.Stand up straight with your chest out and shoulders back to make them look wider.
- Throughout the day remind yourself to correct your posture, such as by placing a note on your desk or by setting an alarm on your phone.
Work on your confidenceWork on your confidence.Exuding confidence can affect the way that people see you. Being confident is also helpful for feeling good about yourself. If your confidence is low, then work on building it up so that you can look and feel your best.
- Try writing yourself a letter from the perspective of someone who cares about you and wants to boost your confidence.What would that person say? Which of your strengths might he/she point out? After you write this letter, try reading over it once a day to help boost your confidence.
Method 3 Quiz
What’s the key to losing weight?
QuestionHow can I increase my shoulder width?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerTry weight lifting, including the exercises listed here as well as pushups and chin-ups. Aim for resistance training three times per week to build a strong and strong- looking upper body. You need to feel the burn in your muscles to achieve results, but work up gradually. The shoulder is easy to injure.Thanks!
QuestionWhen will I see the results?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerWith consistent training twice or three times per week, you can expect to see results in 6-8 weeks. If you have a BMI between 18-24, your efforts will be visible more quickly than if you have fat covering the muscle so consume a healthy diet and include cardio to look your best.Thanks!
QuestionWhat exercises make your shoulders wider?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerLateral dumbbell arm raises build the cap of the shoulder, making the shoulders bigger.Thanks!
QuestionWhat muscles make you look bigger?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerThere's no one body part that makes you look bigger; however, the big muscle groups to hit are the back, chest, shoulders, thighs, glutes and calves.Thanks!
QuestionHow broad are the average woman's shoulders?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerIt varies depending on age, but for an 18 year old woman, the average shoulder width is 14 inches or 35 cm.Thanks!
QuestionDo push-ups widen your shoulders?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerPush ups cannot change your bone structure. However, since push-ups work the front of the shoulder as well as the chest muscles, yes, building these muscles through doing push-ups will make the shoulders bigger.Thanks!
QuestionI am 19. Can I make my shoulders broader?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. Even, if your body is done growing, you can still use strength training exercises to broaden your shoulders.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get a hard chest quickly?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerHard muscles means high muscle tone in technical terms (i.e., relatively high tension in your muscle even when it's relaxed). If this is what you want, more "isometric" exercises will help -- do resistance training in which your joints remain still. For example, you can try static push-ups: keep yourself in the lowest position of a push-up where elbows are 90 degrees, and aim to stay in a position for as long as possible. If you do bench presses, stop at the position where your elbows are 90 degree for 3-5 seconds in each rep.Thanks!
QuestionHow can a child get wider shoulders?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDepending on the age of the child, he or she can enroll martial arts, gymnastics, or swimming lessons. This may help build some upper body muscle that may give the appearance of wider shoulders. Keep in mind that a child's body is still growing and developing, and that his or her shoulders will become wider naturally.Thanks!
QuestionI am 18. What should I do to broaden my shoulder?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUse 5 pound weights and raise your hands at a level near your shoulders. Then, close your arms in front of you and open them.Thanks!
What if I want to make my shoulders less broad?
- Before you attempt any exercise program, it is advisable to consult your physician.
Sources and Citations
- Videos provided by
In other languages:
Español: , Deutsch: , Português: , Italiano: , Français: , Русский: , Nederlands: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Tiếng Việt: , العربية: , ไทย: , 中文:
Video: Bigger Wider Shoulders in 14 DAYS (With 1 DUMBBELL!)
How to Challenge the Validity of a Debt
Can Melt Shop capture the nations heart — or stomachs Probably. It has all the components of a successful fast-casual chain in the making: quality food, quick prep, and a simple and trendy menu at roughly the market price point. Keep your eyes peeled for a Melt Shop one may be setting up shop near you — maybe in a mall food court
How to Tell if Someone Is Using You
How to Decorate a School Locker for a Birthday
Hairstyles For Thin Hair
Making It Work: How to Save Time, Get Fit, and Win at Life
Histex PE Reviews
Why you should never cross your legs
Chanterelle Mushroom and Kale Pizza
Why The Hotness Rating Scale Needs To Go Away (Die A Painful Death)