How to GROW Natural Hair Long & Fast! 3 easy steps that ACTUALLY Works
How to Grow Out Your Natural Hair Color
Tired of coloring your hair and having to keep up with the maintenance? Want to go for a more natural look and save money in the salon? What better shade of hair color is there than the one that grows right from your own roots? After all, it was picked out by your genes, just like the color of your eyes and skin. By getting a haircut and/or using some hair dye products, you can work toward a more natural hue. Also, be sure to take good care of your hair, so that you can effectively grow a natural mane.
Getting a Haircut
Grow your roots at least 1-2 inches.The first step in growing out your natural hair color, is simply that: grow your hair. Wait anywhere from 2-4 months to allow your hair to grow an inch or two. (If you can stand it, let it grow even longer). You need a base of natural hair at the roots to start with.
Have your hair cut.Visit a salon and get a haircut. Short hair is the best way to speed up the waiting process when growing out your natural hair color, and there are many trendy styles to choose from.Use magazines and internet searches to find a haircut that's suitable for you.
- Consider getting a pixie cut or a short bob.
- If you prefer longer hair, you can always go for regular monthly trims and slowly work your way as your roots grow out.
Continue to trim your hair every 4-6 weeks.Return to your salon for routine trims. Doing this will slowly remove any remaining chemically-treated hair, while also keeping your hair nice and healthy by removing split ends.
Grow your hair long again.Once all the chemically-treated hair has been removed, begin growing your hair long again, if you desire. You never know, maybe you will really grow to love the pixie cut.
Using Hair Dye
Grow your roots at least 1 inch.If you are going to try to match your hair color with a suitable dye, you need a sample of what your natural hair color looks like. Grow your roots out at least 1 inch before attempting to find a matching shade.
Match your natural color.Using your roots as a guide, select a color of hair dye that is as close as possible to your natural color. If you can afford it, visit a professional colorist; they can match your color more precisely than home products. If you are on a tight budget, visit your local beauty supply store and ask a worker to help you select the right shade. Then head back home and dye your hair.
- If applying the color yourself, first read all packaging for specific directions.
- Mix the developer with the color. If you are using a box dye, these will be measured out for you. If you have purchased separate developer and color, read the instructions and follow them.
- Part your hair into 4-8 sections and apply the product to your roots.
- Spread the product through the rest of your hair, making sure to saturate all of it.
- Set a timer and wait.
- Rinse your hair.
Use highlights or lowlights.If your dyed color is quite a bit different from your natural color, it may not be possible (or advisable) to dye your hair back to your natural color right away. Instead, you can use highlights (if your natural color is lighter) or lowlights (if your natural color is darker). You can add additional highlights or lowlights every 3-4 weeks until you have sufficiently disguised your roots. Then simply allow your hair to continue growing out.
- Both highlights and lowlights are best done by a professional colorist.
- Explain to your colorist that you want to move toward your natural color and they can help you.
Use funky colors.If your hair has been bleached and you want to grow it out, a fun option is to use bright funky colors to cover your roots as they grow. When you first apply bright colors (such as purple, hot pink, or teal), they will cover your roots and your hair. As the colors fade with each shampoo, your roots will become more prominent. But when you are going for a fun funky look like this, you can get away with showing some dark roots.
- Try Manic Panic brand hair dye.
- Apply a mix of 2-3 different colors for a more dynamic look that will better disguise your roots.
- With Manic Panic (and most semi-permanent dyes) you do not use developer. Simply apply to paste directly to dry hair and wait 20-30 minutes. Then rinse.
Taking Good Care of Your Hair
Invest in the right products for your hair type.A good quality shampoo and conditioner should be the two staple products in any hair care routine. Finding a good quality shampoo and conditioner that works well with your hair will help your hair stay healthy and allow you to effectively grow out your natural hair color.
- If your hair is dyed, look for a product labeled "Color safe" or "Color extending." These products are formulated to be more gentle on color-treated hair, so that the dye lasts longer before fading.
- Baby shampoo is very inexpensive and excellent for all hair types including permed. Since it is gentle enough to use on a baby's hair, it will also be gentle enough to use on yours.
- You may skip the conditioner if your hair is oily. Conditioner also makes an instant hair detangler when mixed with water in a spray bottle
Go easy on the shampoo.The shampoo in your shower can contribute to dry, damaged hair. Contrary to popular belief, it is not good or even necessary to wash your hair everyday, especially if your hair is chemically treated. Too much washing dries out the scalp, and keeps your hair from growing properly. Wash your hair only every other day (or every third day) to grow out your natural hair color.
- Try to go without washing for at least four days. If your hair feels a little greasy before then, try using a dry shampoo.
- If you don't have one then mix some cornstarch with baking soda, sprinkle it on your roots and top part of your hair, and then brush it thoroughly.
Get plenty of exercise.Exercising has many benefits for the human body such as maintaining body weight and improving overall health. But did you know that it can also help make hair grow faster? Exercising causes the heart to pump faster, circulating blood flow throughout the whole body including the scalp, resulting in faster hair growth. After a few weeks or months of sticking with an exercise routine, you should start to notice a change in hair growth.
- Put your sneakers on and go for a jog or a long walk in the park.
- Learn a new dance, try yoga, or jump on your trampoline.
- You can also pick up strength training.
Avoid heat-styling.Do not fight against the natural texture of your hair. Doing so with heat-stylers will cause damage and possibly breakage. With that being said, avoid heat-stylers at all costs such as flat irons, blow dryers, and curling irons. Doing this will help you to effectively grow out your natural color.
Get your hair trimmed regularly.Hair specialists recommend having your hair trimmed every 4-6 weeks. If you are trying to grow your hair out, you can push this to 6-8 weeks, but don’t skip trims altogether! Getting your hair trimmed prevents breakage and keeps your hair healthy, which will actually help your hair to grow longer. Getting your hair trimmed at least every 8 weeks is an important step in growing out your natural color.
QuestionMy natural hair color is brown and I dyed it dark brown. Will my natural natural hair color grow back?
Licensed CosmetologistLicensed CosmetologistExpert AnswerYes, your natural color will come in as your hair grows and the dark brown dye grows out.Thanks!
QuestionI colored my grey hair blonde and I want all of my hair to be grey again. My new growth of grey is about 2 inches long and I don't want to cut my hair. How can I color my hair grey?
Licensed CosmetologistLicensed CosmetologistExpert AnswerIf you want to remain blonde, you can get a touch-up on your two inches of new growth. If you want to return to your natural grey color, you could wait until your hair grows longer before cutting it, or you could try a color remover.Thanks!
QuestionIs it possible to grow out my hair to my natural color? I have been told that once dyed it will never return to the original color.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerOnce dyed, your *dyed* hair will not return to its original color, if the dye is permanent. But the new hair that grows out will always be your natural color.Thanks!
QuestionI am a natural ginger. If I bleach my hair and dye it silver, will it eventually grow back to be red?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, no matter what color you dye or bleach your existing hair, any new hair that grows out will be your natural color.Thanks!
QuestionWill my hair be the same quality when it grows out?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. Your 'future' hair won't be affected at all. Just make sure you drink enough water.Thanks!
QuestionCan my natural hair color change over the years? I've been a blonde but as I got older it turned into dirty blonde.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMost people with blonde hair find that their hair gets a bit darker as they age. If you are not sure what your natural color is, grow your hair out 1-2 inches to find out.Thanks!
QuestionIs it safe to color my hair twice within two weeks?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNot really, since your hair can only endure so much. If you color your hair twice within two weeks, then it will become fragile and may split or break.Thanks!
QuestionCan my natural color return after it's white?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThat depends. If you bleached your hair white, it will likely grow back its natural color. If your hair turned white due to aging, then it will continue to grow out white.Thanks!
QuestionIs carbonated water the same as bicarbonate of soda?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerCarbonated water is soda water: water with carbonation, like unflavored soda/pop (liquid). Bicarbonate of soda is another name for baking soda: used in baking, can also be used for cleaning. It's bought in a powder form.Thanks!
QuestionWhat foods and vitamins can I take to bring back my natural hair color?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNothing except growing out your hair will bring back your natural hair color. Foods and vitamins will not do anything to the artificial color in your existing hair. If you'd like to speed up the hair growth process (though be aware you can only do this to a small degree), check out How to Make Your Hair Grow Faster.Thanks!
How do I have my natural hair color grow back?
How can I grow out auburn hair with salt and pepper roots too look sassy?
If I have natural blond hair and I dye it brown will my blond grow out again because I hope it does?
How do I get my natural hair color back?
My hair is growing out silver but it's dyed dark brown. What can I use to get rid of the brown and be back to my natural color that is safe for my hair?
- Eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, exercising regularly, and taking multivitamins are also very beneficial to hair growth. A healthy body will produce healthy hair.
- Avoid stress as much as possible and limit your caffeine and alcohol intake.
- Rinsing your hair with 1 tablespoon of white or apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 cup of water after shampooing and conditioning is a great way to clarify the hair, get rid of any buildup in the scalp, detangle hair, keep it shiny, give it volume, relieve an itchy scalp, reduce dandruff, tame frizz, and enhance curls.
- Wear a swim cap when swimming to protect the hair from the harsh salt from the beach or the chlorine from a swimming pool.
- Be patient, hair growth takes time for most people. So don't expect any drastic results until after a few months to a year, depending on how fast your hair normally grows.
- Resist the temptation of coloring your hair over and over. Remember, you are trying to break the hair coloring cycle.
- Avoid ads that claim to make hair grow faster. There is absolutely no pill or formula that will help you do this.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Italiano: , Español: , Português: , Русский: , Deutsch: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , العربية:
Video: How to Grow LONG, HEALTHY, & THICK Natural Hair
Black Tie Formal Wear: What It Means, What to Wear, andMore
How to Revitalize Day Old Pizza in a Microwave
Contouring for Normal People
How to Avoid Getting an Abortion
How to Download Diamond Dash for Android
4 Weird Treatments for Cellulite That Actually Work
Insurance Premiums on Mortgages Decreasing
What’s The Best Time Of Day To Work Out
Salt Spray Recipe for Hair
McDonald’s Starts Using Fresh Beef
Your Election News Cheat Sheet: Everything to Know Before Monday’sDebate