How to keep chopsticks for sushi: step-by-step instructions for beginners
Eastern culture is rich and attractive, and the cuisine of the countries of the East has spread throughout the world. Only bad luck - how to keep chopsticks for sushi, noodles or rice? The mysterious eastern soul did not find a more suitable tool for eating crumbly food, and people who are used to forks and spoons cannot intuitively understand how to cope with cutlery from Japan and China. Of course, in any sushi restaurant, you can easily ask for a fork for your convenience, but after all a lot of charm of oriental cuisine is fully immersed in the atmosphere. And just for the common development, it will never be superfluous to learn something new for yourself.
What are sushi sticks?
In the depth of the centuries, the sticks used to eat food in Japan, China, in Korea and Vietnam had a slightly different look than they do now.Then they looked like a piece of bamboo trunk, which on one side was solid, and on the other - split into two sharp ends. These are the ends of the eastern people and picked up the food. Now the rods are always separate, only disposable ones are fed with a fastened edge, but they should be broken.
Chinese and Japanese chopsticks are the same, have no significant differences, except for the name - kuaizi and hasi, respectively. In all eastern countries there are no special restrictions on the materials or forms of the instrument - the sticks can be wooden, metal, ceramic, plastic or even ivory with precious stones. True, we can meet such diversity only at private dinners, and in restaurants they serve disposable devices in individual packaging with not cut through, which is an obvious symbol of the fact that the device was not used before.
Modern Hasi can be made in the form of elongated cones (with a circular section) or elongated pyramids (square section).
The importance of cutlery in Japanese culture can be noted even by the fact that chopsticks are considered a win-win gift for any celebration.They are appropriate at a wedding, at a birthday party or any other holiday. And if in the Middle Ages they were made of silver in order to reveal poisoned food (the reaction with arsenic changes the color of the metal), today the use of precious metals, stones or rare materials is exclusively decorative.
Photo instruction: how to keep sushi sticks correctly
To be able to bring food to the mouth with two naughty chopsticks, we need a certain skill. If you understand, there is nothing difficult in this, you just need to get a little practice, following a simple step-by-step instructions on how to keep sushi sticks:
- If the device is disposable, it should be removed from the packaging and broken at the junction, so that in the hands were two separate sticks.
- Next hand is to make a base, which will allow you to comfortably capture the sticks. To get it, the little finger and ring finger should cling to each other and bend in the direction of the center of the palm, but not touch it. In this case, the index finger looks almost straight, and the middle one is half-bent.
- The sticks are placed in the hand with a thick end up. The bottom of them is placed in a wide edge of the fold between the thumb and index finger.Visually divide the wand into three equal parts - the upper mark and should lie down to the thumb. The second mark should lie next to the nail of the bent ring finger.
- The upper stick, slightly above the middle, is taken with beams of the index and thumb, so that it runs parallel to the first two phalanxes of the index. She also relies on the nail of the middle finger. It sounds difficult, but the photo is clear.
How to hold is now clear, thanks to the scheme, but how to take these notorious sushi twigs or other food, and even bring them to the mouth? In all movements, only the upper stick is involved, yielding to the manipulations of the middle finger, but the lower one should be clearly fixed and motionless, and it accounts for most of the food. The middle finger acts as a lever, retracted or pressing the top hashi.
Note! For a person who has never experienced Eastern European dining etiquette, such management of Chinese chopsticks may seem like a Chinese script. However, for the initial stages of the development of hashi, you can use children's chopsticks-clothespins, for the development of which you will need less effort and skill: you can take food according to the example of forceps.
Despite the seeming simplicity of action and the fact that Japanese and Chinese children learn sticks at the same time when our spoon, far from everyone, having tried once, will be able to deftly manage Eastern appliances at the table. Most likely, it will take some time and a certain amount of training to feel confident at the table at the oriental banquet. It is best to train on something shallow - corn, peas, beans - so the necessary motility will be gained faster.
How to keep Chinese sticks for sushi: video
After it became clear in general terms how to take, how to hold and manage Chinese chopsticks, it is worthwhile to fasten knowledge as quickly as possible. If right now there is no opportunity to conduct a practical lesson, a video with an explanation and demonstration of the correct use of this cutlery will be suitable for this purpose.
If, on the first attempt, no instructions and videos were taught to use individual hasis, you can go a longer, but also much more comfortable way - use training sticks until your hand becomes accustomed to this device, and then go on to ordinary adults. sticks.
Considering that in restaurants or when ordering sets to go home or to the office, ordinary sticks are put into the set, the question arises: where to get training. As it turned out, turning ordinary disposable chopsticks into educational ones is easier than ever, and the simplest available tools will be needed for this.
For example, here are two ways to convert standard hashi to student choices:
Option number 1 with clothespin
For this you need:
- Remove from the clothespins a metal coil connecting the wooden or plastic holders.
- Remove chopsticks from the package and separate them.
- At the place where the clothespin holders were, insert the sticks so that the helix is in the middle.
Now it is much easier to hold the device, manipulating the upper thick ends of the hashi, you can wield them as forceps, and not to think about how to properly hold the sticks.
Option number 2 With a rubber band and a napkin
For this you need:
- Collapse the usual napkin, first three times, then again in half in length and roll into a roller.
- Place it between the chopsticks at the very top, between the thick edges.
- The rubber band — the simplest one, either for money or on medicine packs — is wound several times around sticks and a roller so that their position is fixed and nothing falls out.
It is very easy to hold such tongs and pick up sushi or another tasty morsel with them.
Both lifehacks are clearly shown in the video below, so there should be no problems with how to bring them to life.
How to keep Chinese sticks on etiquette
Understanding how to properly hold Chinese sushi sticks is just the tip of the iceberg. Japanese and Chinese cultures go so deep into the history that ceremoniality, that is, the observance of all norms of etiquette, for them is an important component of the banquet.
Several rules of conduct at the table in the eastern company and the rules for using Chinese chopsticks for sushi and everything else:
- Chopsticks can only take food. It is absolutely impossible to stick or pick them up from below either roll sushi or any other dishes.
- Rolls, sushi, sashimi - never cut or bite off pieces of them to put the rest back on the plate. All this is put in the mouth entirely.
- Sushi is never passed on to each other and is not placed on the plate by another person, even if he cannot reach the desired dish.
- For meals, nothing but chopsticks can be taken in hand.
- To appeal to the waiter, it is worth putting the chopsticks, but not in any way across the cup, sauce dishes or the like (the horizontal position resembles the burial position of the candles), and you can’t stick them in a cup, for example, with rice.
- Chopsticks should be treated with respect - you can not use them for other purposes (as a pointer or a hook, in order to move the desired dish to yourself).
- The most unacceptable behavior is to shift food from one plate to another. If a piece of food was taken, it should immediately get into the mouth, and not be sent to a dish. It is also associated with funeral rituals, during which the bones of the deceased are transferred to the urn with their chopsticks.
- Fumbling in a bowl with chopsticks, trying to grab the most appetizing piece - the height of indecency.
- Clamping sushi sticks in your fist is not only indecent, but can also be interpreted as a threat.
In eastern countries, hashi is treated with great trepidation and reverence, and to neglect the rules of handling tableware means to show disrespect to the owners. Despite the fact that most of our citizens are unlikely to ever be at an authentic sushi ceremony and, most likely,they will demonstrate their skills of handling chopsticks only to close people, to know what is permissible in such an environment, and what is not, is still worth it.
From the foregoing, it is already clear that the Japanese, Chinese, Koreans and Vietnamese themselves are very kind to such a part of their culture as hashi. If you ever happen to use them in the company of knowledgeable people and carriers of culture, you should certainly follow all the rules established by centuries-old traditions, otherwise you will look like a person disrespectful to your companions in the meal.
What is AIDS - HIV infection
10 main colors of autumn - 2016 according to Pantone
Is it possible to change your past
How to cook squash roll with champignons and cheese
Ossobuco is a delicious dish from Italy
Venetian style in the interior
How to choose a SLR camera