How To Make A Screwdriver Cocktail
How to Make a Vodka Screwdriver
The vodka screwdriver is a classic drink. It is also very simple to make. All you need to make one is some ice, vodka, and orange juice. A garnish is not needed, but it will add a pop of color. Because of its simplicity, however, good quality ingredients are a must. Bad quality ingredientswillstand out, because there is nothing else to mask bad flavors or impurities.
- 1½ to 2 ounces (45 to 60 milliliters) vodka
- 5 to 6 ounces (150 to 180 milliliters) orange juice
- Orange slice or maraschino cherry (for garnish)
Making a Basic Screwdriver
Fill a highball glass with ice.You can use as much or as little ice as you'd like. If you are worried about the ice diluting the flavor, use some ice cubes made from frozen orange juice instead.
Add some vodka.You can use any type of vodka you like, but you might want to use a better quality, as a lower-quality one will stand out. If you find that vodka has too sharp of a taste for you, try using an orange-flavored vodka instead.
Top it off with orange juice.How much orange juice you add is up to you. Keep in mind that the more juice you add, the weaker the drink will become.
Give it a stir.When the Screwdriver was first invented, it was stirred with whatever the workers had on hand: an actual screwdriver.You might want to use a spoon, straw, or stir stick for this.
Garnish with an orange slice or a maraschino cherry.This is entirely optional, but it will help dress up an otherwise simple drink and make it look more interesting.
Serve and enjoy the drink.It pairs great with greasy, breakfast type foods, such as bacon and scrambled eggs. You can also enjoy it with something salty, like pretzels.
Try it with a flavored vodka.A Screwdriver is a very simple drink. You can add some complexity to it by using a flavored vodka (as opposed to plain or orange-flavored). Just about anything tropical will go well with the orange juice. Here are some popular choices to get you started:
- Red berry
Give it a bit of fizz with some soda water.Start off by mixing a regular screwdriver. At the very end, add a splash of soda water. Try to use freshly-squeezed orange juice for this. Use a thin orange slice for garnish.
For some kick, make it an Electric Screwdriver by add energy drink and tequila.Fill a glass with ice, then add ¾ ounce (22 milliliters) of tequila, ¾ ounce (22 milliliters) of vodka, and 2 ounces (60 milliliters) of orange juice. Top it off with 1 ounce (30 milliliters) of your favorite energy drink. Garnish it with an orange slice before serving.
Add some sage for an herbal screwdriver.Muddle a sage leaf with 1 shot of vodka in a cocktail shaker. Add 5 ounces (150 milliliters) of orange juice, a dash of Angostura bitters, and some ice. Shake to mix. Fill a glass with ice, and pour the mixture through a strainer over it. Use a sprinkle of freshly-ground nutmeg as garnish.
Add a dash of grenadine to make it a bloody screwdriver.Fill a glass with ice and 1 part of orange juice. Add 2¼ parts of vodka and a dash of grenadine. Garnish it with a thin orange slice before serving.
- The grenadine will give the screwdriver that red, "bloody" tint.
To make a classic vodka screwdriver, fill a highball glass with ice and pour in about 2 ounces of high quality vodka. Next, top off the vodka with about 6 ounces of orange juice, adjusting the amount of juice up or down based on your personal preference. Keep in mind that the more orange juice you add, the weaker the screwdriver will be. Then, give the cocktail a good stir and enjoy your beverage!
- Add a pinch of salt to your glass. It will smooth out the acidity from the juice and the bitter vodka bite.
- You can use any vodka you want, but Smirnoff No. 21 is the most widely-used one.
- Screwdrivers are best with heavy, greasy foods such as bacon, eggs, omelet, and sausage. They also go well with salty snacks, such as saltine crackers and pretzels.
- When using the frozen concentrate, you can add more vodka to flavor or leave as is, after having added and mixed the drink.
- The higher quality vodkas will usually have a smoother taste, but some of the cheaper alternatives taste as good.
- When using the frozen concentrate, you might want to leave it with just the vodka mixed in with the water, and let your friends add in more as they need it.
- When making a screwdriver with frozen concentrate, use 1 partlesswater than the recommended amount. Substitute 1 part vodka for that missing water.
- Use smooth, pulp-free orange juice. Fresh-squeezed orange juice, if you have the time, would be the best.
Video: Four Easy Vodka Drinks
Learn How to Make the Most of Your Negative SpaceManicure
Flavorful Dijon-Thyme Roasted Salmon
40 Braided Hairstyles For Long Hair
How to Make a Holographic Vase
Patagonia Withdraws from Outdoor Retailer, Citing Host State’s Hostility to the Environment
How to Paint a Cat Hiding Among Pumpkins
How to Make Mosaic Art
How to Prepare Garden Compost
Baked Veggie-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
How to Fix Meals for Cancer Patients