[No Music] How to make Potato Gnocchi
How to Make Gnocchi
If you're tired of paying top-dollar for gnocchi in restaurants, make your own at home! Boil potatoes until they're tender and grate them to make the base of the dough. Mix in flour and an egg to form a soft dough. Then shape the dough and cut it into individual pieces. Boil the gnocchi for a few minutes and then cook them briefly in your favorite sauce.
pounds (1.1 kg) of potatoes (such as Russets or Yukon Gold)
2 1/2 cups (300 g) of all-purpose or 00 flour for the dough plus 1/2 cup (60 g) for rolling
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) of salt
1/2 cup (123 g) of ricotta (optional)
1/4 cup (25 g) of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, optional
Makes 2 to 4 servings
Cooking and Ricing the Potatoes
Put the potatoes in a large pot and pour in enough water to cover them.Rinse pounds (1.1 kg) of potatoes and put them into a large pot without peeling them. Pour in enough cold water to completely cover the potatoes.
- Use Russet potatoes for the best texture.
- You'll need about 4 large potatoes or 6 small potatoes.
Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes over medium-high heat.Turn the burner to medium-high and bring the water to a vigorous boil. Keep the lid off of the pot and boil the potatoes until they're tender when you poke them with a fork.
- Avoid boiling the potatoes until they become mushy. This would make them difficult to peel.
Drain the potatoes and place them on paper towels.Turn off the burner once the potatoes are tender. Set a colander in the sink and pour the potatoes into it so the water drains out. Place paper towels on a plate and transfer the potatoes to the paper towel so they dry.
- It's important to remove moisture from the potatoes so they don't make the dough soggy.
Peel the potatoes.Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, get out a small paring knife and use to peel away the potato skins. Discard the potato peels.
- If you notice any brown spots in the potato, cut away and discard them.
- To protect your hands, use a tea towel to hold the potatoes as you peel the potatoes.
Push the potatoes through a potato ricer.Put a peeled potato into a potato ricer and press down to push it through the ricer and into a bowl. Repeat this for all of the potatoes.
- If you don't have a potato ricer, grate the potatoes against the fine side of a box grater.
- If the riced or grated potatoes look watery, set them on a paper towel-lined plate for 1 to 2 minutes.
Making the Dough
Scoop the potato onto your work surface and put flour and salt on it.Transfer the riced or grated potato onto a clean counter or cutting board. Scoop it together so it's in a mound. Then put 2 1/2 cups (300 g) of the flour and 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) of salt directly onto the potatoes.
- You can use all-purpose or 00 flour. You can find 00 flour in specialty shops and it will make a finer, softer dough.
Use your hands to make a well in the middle of the potato mixture.Use your fingers like a scoop and sweep them around the center of the potato and flour mixture. This will make a deep well where you can add the remaining ingredients.
- Make the well large enough to hold the eggs and cheese, if you're using them.
Crack 1 egg into the well and add the optional cheeses.Add the egg to the center of the well. If you'd like to make creamier pasta, add 1/2 cup (123 g) of ricotta and 1/4 cup (25 g) of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese along with the egg.
- Ensure there are no egg shells in the well or your dough will have hard bits.
Use a fork to mix the egg with the flour and potatoes.Take a fork and beat the egg with the cheeses, if you're using them. Once the egg is beaten, use the fork to start mixing in the flour and potatoes from the sides of the well.
- While you can use a spoon to mix the dough, it will combine better if you use a fork.
Shaping the Gnocchi
Knead the mixture into a soft dough.Use your hands to combine the crumbly mixture. Keep mixing until you have a dough that's smooth and doesn't fall apart. Avoid kneading it too much once it's formed or the gnocchi will be tough.
- You shouldn't need to add flour to your work surface at this point because the dough is already crumbly.
Form the dough into a long rectangle.Keep the dough on your work surface and use your hands to shape it into a rectangle that's about 12 inches (30 cm) long and 4 inches (10 cm) wide.
- If the dough sticks, use a sprinkling of flour to loosen it.
Cut the rectangle into 8 to 10 short strips.Use a sharp knife or bench scraper to cut across the rectangle. Avoid using a serrated knife which could tear the dough. Make 8 to 10 strips that are about 4 inches (10 cm) long.
- The dough should feel light and airy if you haven't over-mixed it.
Roll each strip into a long rope.Move 1 of the strips to the center of your work surface and use the palms of both hands to roll it into a long rope. If you want to make thin gnocchi, roll the dough into a rope that's about 12 inches (30 cm) long. Roll out each of the strips into ropes.
- If you want thicker gnocchi, roll the rope about 8 inches (20 cm) long.
Cut each rope into 1 in (2.5 cm) pieces.Take your knife or bench scraper and cut across each of the ropes. Make 1 in (2.5 cm) pieces that will become the gnocchi. If the dough begins to stick, sprinkle more flour onto your work surface.
Arrange the gnocchi on a floured baking sheet.Sprinkle flour evenly across a rimmed baking sheet. Place the gnocchi on the sheet and sprinkle more flour over them. Keep them on the sheet until you're ready to boil them.
- Boil the gnocchi within 45 minutes of cutting and putting them on the sheet.
Make ridges with a fork or press each gnocchi to add a unique look.To add texture, press a piece of the dough onto the tines of a fork and roll the dough off as you press gently. For an easier shape, press your thumb into the middle of each piece of dough.
- If you don't want to add texture to your gnocchi, you can skip this step and begin boiling the pasta.
Boiling the Gnocchi
Bring a pot of water to boil and add the gnocchi.Fill a stockpot three-quarters full of water and turn the burner to high. When the water boils, stir in salt and the gnocchi. The gnocchi will sink towards the bottom after you add them.
- Shake off the excess flour from the gnocchi before you add them to the boiling water.
Boil the gnocchi for 2 to 4 minutes.Continue to boil the gnocchi until they're cooked throughout and they float to the top of the water. Stir them occasionally as they boil to prevent them from clumping together.
- Avoid adding oil to the water while the gnocchi is boiling. It's better to stir the pasta to prevent it from sticking together.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the gnocchi.Turn off the burner and carefully scoop the gnocchi out of the water using a slotted spoon. Transfer the gnocchi to a saucepan.
- It's important to drain off all of the water or the gnocchi will become mushy.
Cook the gnocchi with your choice of sauce for 2 minutes.Add your favorite sauce to the saucepan with the gnocchi. Turn the burner to medium and cook the pasta in the sauce for about 2 minutes.
- Cooking the gnocchi with the sauce will make the gnocchi tender and will help the sauce stick to the pasta.
- Refrigerate leftover cooked gnocchi in an airtight container for up to 3 to 5 days.
QuestionWhat type of sauce goes best? Would Alfredo work?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAlmost any type of sauce goes well with gnocchi. Creamy sauces such as Alfredo and Gorgonzola are ideal and possibly the best for gnocchi. Tomato-based sauces are delicious with gnocchi too. A very simple way to serve gnocchi is to drizzle olive oil over it and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese (grated freshly) and some fresh chopped herbs.Thanks!
QuestionCan the gnocchi be frozen? If so, do I do this before or after cooking?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou would freeze them before cooking. When you are ready to cook, pull them from the freezer and place them into boiling water. They're finished when they float.Thanks!
QuestionCan gnocchi be made from instant potatoes?Top AnswererNo, you must use fresh potatoes.Thanks!
QuestionHow long can they be frozen?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe cooked gnocchi can be frozen for up to 3 months.Thanks!
Do you have a recipe for gnocchi made with ricotta cheese?
How much cholesterol in gnocchi?
To make your own gnocchi, start by cooking and grating 2.5 pounds of potatoes. Mix the grated potatoes with 2.5 cups of flour and half of a teaspoon of salt, and use your hand to make a small hole in the middle of the mixture. Then, crack an egg into the hole and use a fork to mix all of the ingredients together before kneading the dough until it's soft. Once a dough forms, roll portions of dough into long strips, and use a knife to cut the strips into small, rounded rectangles. Cook the gnocchi in boiling water for 2-4 minutes before serving!
- Pressing the gnocchi against the tines of the fork creates ridges that make it easier for the gnocchi to hold sauce.
- Instead of boiling the potatoes, you can bake them in the oven until they're soft. This will make a drier dough that's a little harder to roll out.
- You can substitute instant mashed potatoes for the boiled potatoes, though the gnocchi will likely turn out heavier.
- If you'd like to make the gnocchi and freeze it, place the floured gnocchi on a baking sheet and freeze them for 2 hours. Then transfer them to an airtight container and freeze them for up to 2 months. When you're ready to cook them, boil them without thawing them first.
Things You'll Need
Measuring cups and spoons
Potato ricer or box grater
Cutting board, optional
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
Categories: | |
In other languages:
Italiano: , Español: , Deutsch: , Português: , Français: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , العربية: , 中文: , Tiếng Việt: , ไทย:
Video: Gordon Ramsay Homemade Gnocchi
The left atrium contracts before the right atrium
10 Most Popular Pet Names for Dogs
All About Sweet Potatoes: Nutrition Facts, Health Benefits, Difference From Yams, Recipes, and More
This New York Couple Discovered They Were Pregnant In The Most Adorable Way
Jessica Alba Makes a Plaid Shirt Work for a Night Out
Cherry Chocolate Chip Pancakes (or Waffles)
How to Measure Customer Satisfaction
10 Short Blonde Hair Ideas: Best Short Haircuts
How to Develop Software
How to Distract Yourself
How to Pack a Surfboard for Travel
How to Get the Most out of Your Doctor Visit
Women of the Year 2019: The best beauty looks
Maison Margiela’s FallWinter 2019-18 Défilé’ Show Used the Margiela5AC Bag As a Headpiece