How to salt watermelons for the winter
The season of the striped berry slowly approaches the end and eventually the last fruits will disappear from the beds and store counters. And many sweet tooths so want to keep a piece of summer and as much as possible to enjoy his taste. The only way out is to pickle watermelons for winter at home.
To save watermelons in fresh form is problematic. But there are other ways of harvesting berries, including pickling. Let's take a closer look at the technology of pickling a striped delicacy and pay attention to important points. Thanks to the information received, you can easily make a perfect harvest for the winter.
Classic recipe for pickling watermelons in cans
If you decided to pick up watermelons for the winter and have not done it before, I suggest starting with a classic recipe. It is as simple and very similar to the technology, which is greased with cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and other vegetables and fruits.
- Watermelon - 2 kg.
- Water - 1 liter.
- Vinegar - 50 ml.
- Sugar - 3 tablespoons.
- Salt - 1.5 tablespoons.
How to cook:
- For salting, use whole watermelons without damage. Rinse each berry with water, dry and cut into small pieces. Fill the prepared wafers with prepared wafers.
- Make the pickle. For this, add boiling water, salt, sugar and vinegar, cook for 30 seconds. Add brine with a hot brine.
- Fill the filled containers in a large saucepan, pour water over the hangers and sterilize for 20 minutes. Then roll up the lids and leave it in the upside down position under the blanket until it cools down.
Some cooks at salting remove from a water-melon a crust. This procedure is optional, most importantly, do not use watermelons bought in the store for winter harvesting, especially if the season has just begun. Otherwise, the nitrates with which the early berries are saturated will enter the jar with delicacy.
How to properly salt watermelons in a barrel
Now watermelons are salted in jars and other small containers, but earlier used wooden barrels for this purpose. To pickle the striped fruits in such a dish is easy, as well as to get an excellent result. It all boils down to the right choice and preparation of the product, the preparation of a good pickle and the provision of optimal storage conditions.
- Watermelons - the amount depends on the capacity of the barrel.
- Water - volume depends on the capacity of the barrel.
- Salt - at the rate of 700 g per 10 liters of liquid.
- Rinse watermelons with water and dry with a towel. In each berry with a toothpick make a dozen symmetrical punctures, then fold it into a clean barrel, fill it with brine so that it completely covers the fruit.
- Cover the container with a piece of clean cloth, place a wooden circle on the top with a boiling water and put a heavy object. The main thing is that the circle does not float up, otherwise the air will penetrate into the container and the workpiece will deteriorate.
- Cover the barrel for a day at room temperature, then take it to a cool place. For three weeks, watermelons are well salted and become suitable for eating.
There are many ways of pickling in a barrel. Some provide for the use of sugar, other spices. In this recipe, these ingredients are absent, which contributes to the preservation of the natural taste of watermelon.
What is better to sour or salt watermelons?
Watermelons are harvested for the winter in various ways, including marinating and pickling. The first technology is based on the use of vinegar, and the second is based on the action of lactic acid bacteria contained in berries.
Each method is good, but admirers of delicacies declare that the wets in the watermelon barrels are tastier and more useful, because the product does not undergo thermal treatment. In fact, only the best way to determine the best way, because everyone has their own tastes.
Benefits and harms of pickled watermelons
Salting is a popular way of harvesting watermelons. At the same time the calorie content of the product is only slightly higher than the nutritional value of fresh berries and is 40 kcal per 100 grams. Therefore, harvesting is appropriate for dietary nutrition.
Watermelon in salt form is saturated with hydrochloric acids and a lot of dietary fiber. It has a lot of copper, cobalt, chlorine, zinc and sulfur. These minerals are necessary for normal body functioning.
Like any other product, in some cases, salted watermelons are harmful to the body. Billets are not recommended for people who:
- Disrupted outflow of urine.
- Stomach upset.
- Stones in the body.
Watermelon provides a strong diuretic effect. As a result, the stones move from the place, causing severe pain. Even healthy people are not recommended to eat salted watermelons after salty foods, as salt slows the outflow of fluid from the body and causes swelling.
It is strictly forbidden to eat watermelons, the content of nitrates in which exceeds the norm.If before salting you bought watermelons, and their purity is doubtful, only eat the core. It contains less harmful substances.
Watermelons are salted in various ways. Some recipes provide salting in their own juice, others are based on the use of spices. There are also combined options.
- If you like spicy pickles, it is advised to add a little ginger, coriander, sweet pepper, garlic, currant or cherry leaves to the container with watermelons.
- Watermelons are well combined with other ingredients. It's about apples, cabbage and green tomatoes, which best complement their taste.
- Such conservation is long kept if it is provided with optimal storage conditions. The mold that has appeared is carefully removed and a little brine is added to the container. The oppression is also given by boiling water.
If you want to get a delicious treat, keep the pickles in a cool place and supervise the salting process. In return, home preparation will thank an unsurpassed taste and weight of culinary impressions.
Watermelon is a berry or a fruit?
An interesting question, is not it? In the old days, gardeners from all over the world conducted extensive discussions on this matter. No wonder, because watermelon to taste very much like fruit.But here there is a disconnect, because most fruits grow on trees. There are similarities in watermelon and with vegetables. It's about the nature of growth.
It took many years to solve this selection problem. In the last century, the procedure for the classification of all garden crops was completed.As a result, the watermelon was taken to berries. So, according to generally accepted terminology, watermelon is a berry, and not a fruit or vegetable.
In the article, I discovered the subtleties of preparing salted watermelons at home. The considered recipes are surprisingly simple, but this does not prevent the preparation to be special and unique. And while the season is in full swing, I advise you to prepare this wonderful snack.
How to clean leather and suede gloves
Harvesting peaches for the winter: what to cook from peaches, photo recipes
No need to scorch: 4 things that only provincials do
How to choose a kettle for a stove
Pickled cucumbers in a jar of red currants
Decorative plaster - a precious material for the interior