Pros and cons of distance learning
Education is an important condition for a successful career. But not every person can afford to enroll in a prestigious university for full-time or correspondence courses, as this requires considerable financial costs.
In addition, factors such as work, the need to ensure family, health, and the geographical distance of a university from a student’s place of residence may interfere with obtaining a diploma in this way. So what to do?
In our era of digital technology and the Internet, one can get a higher education without leaving home. This will help you distance learning system.
What it is?
Distance education is learning at a remote distance without the need for personal visits to the university.
The student and teacher, who is called a tutor, may be located on different continents, but this does not interfere with the learning process.
Most often, this form of training is chosen by people who want to get a second education or improve their qualifications, and already have a certain knowledge base on the chosen specialty.But it is possible, as they say, to start learning from scratch.
After completing the course of study, a document is issued that has the same legal force as an ordinary diploma obtained after graduation.
Duration of study depends on the chosen specialty and is 3.5-5 years. It can vary significantly depending on the intensity of your study schedule, as you choose an individual training program.
It should be noted that not all specialties can be mastered through distance learning. For example, you can not study for a doctor without visiting a university to gain practical knowledge. Most often, distance education courses include specialties related to information technology and commerce.
Now let's find out in more detail how this learning happens?
Each student on the website of his university has his personal page, where teachers send manuals, textbooks and necessary educational materials for self-study of the subject, as well as assignments, after which the student is obliged to send them to the teacher for verification.
All tests, tests and exams are passed in the same way.Then the teacher also via e-mail informs the student of his assessment or sends it back to correct errors.
There are several types of distance learning technologies:
- Case technology. It involves the use of paper in the form of workbooks, which the tutor regularly checks. The interaction between the student and the teacher in this case is carried out through mailing or personal meetings in training centers.
- TV satellite technology. It is very rarely used because of the high cost and the lack of technical feasibility of its students. Its main drawback is the lack of feedback between the tutor and the student.
- Network technology or online training.
Most often, distance education includes all these three technologies, but in different proportions. Of course, the use of the Internet prevails in the educational process, but students also receive CDs with teaching materials and lectures.
Like all forms of education, distance education also has its advantages and disadvantages.
The advantages include:
- The opportunity to study in any university in the world.Regardless of your geographical location and time zone, you can get all the necessary knowledge without leaving your home. This is especially important for people with disabilities, as well as for those who live in regions where there is no opportunity to get an education due to the lack of suitable higher education institutions. Even mothers who take care of their small children and people serving sentences in prisons can get a diploma in this way.
- The cost of distance learning is much lower than full-time or part-time, since there is no personal contact with teachers, for example, to listen to lectures, which means you do not need to pay for their working time. In addition, you do not need to go to another city or country to study at a university, and thus you save on travel and accommodation.
- Flexible training schedule. Each student decides for himself how much time he needs to spend on studying this subject, and based on this, he calculates the duration of his classes. In addition, in some universities, you can postpone training for a long time and return to it later without the need to re-pay.
- Opportunity to study in any place convenient for you without interrupting your main activity.This means that you can study even during breaks at work, and you do not need to take a vacation to pass another exam or test. You can even listen to lectures or perform assignments sitting at home on a comfortable couch, or while on vacation in distant countries.
- Fast and effective interaction between the student and the teacher. Most often, communication between them is carried out using the Internet, so the student always has the opportunity to ask his question and quickly get an answer to it, and without having to schedule a personal meeting.
- The use of modern technology in the educational process.
- Availability of training materials. It happens that there are not enough textbooks and various benefits in high schools, so they have to buy. With distance education all the necessary teaching materials are in electronic form, so students always have everything they need to get knowledge in full.
- Calm atmosphere. The student experiences less stress when passing tests and passing tests and exams, because there is no personal contact with the tutor, and he does not need to think about the impression he makes on the teacher.
There are also disadvantages to this form of education. These include:
- The presence of rigid self-discipline and strong motivation. Russian people tend to be lazy. In distance education, it is very important to tune in to study independently, but for some people it is difficult to do this without outside help. The student must have good will power and self-discipline in order to complete all tasks on time, since this form of education, although it has a flexible schedule, still has obligatory control points that must be completed in a timely manner.
- Lack of practical knowledge. Distance education can not give the student practical skills in the chosen specialty.
- Lack of personal contact with the teacher and fellow students. This can be a negative point for people who like to communicate live, rather than using the Internet. In addition, it is much better for some students to memorize educational material by ear when the teacher gives a lecture, rather than cram it with textbooks.
- Requires constant access to the Internet and information sources. Not all people who want to receive distance education have the possibility of permanent access to the Internet, and some do not even have a computer.
- Insufficient computer literacy. In order to fully obtain all the necessary knowledge, the student must be technically savvy and understand the use of computer online programs in order to take part in online lectures and use everything necessary for learning along with everyone.
- Some courses and programs for receiving distance education are developed poorly and do not meet all the requirements. This is due to the lack of a sufficient level of qualifications among the people developing these study guides.
- Not all employers recognize a diploma of distance education.
- Problem with student identification. It is difficult for teachers to see if a student performs all the tasks independently, passes tests or not. Therefore, the student will have to come to the university or its branches for the final exam for the final attestation.
- All learning in writing. Many people find it much easier to express the material they have learned in oral form than in written form. Because of this, there may be problems when performing tasks.
Unfortunately, today not all universities have a distance form of education. This greatly limits the possibility of obtaining a diploma in the school that you like. However, the number of institutes and universities supporting this form of education is increasing every day. After all, our future is behind new technologies.
7 miniature charm bracelets for those who believe in symbols
Orlando, Leo and other actors who love to undress
How to remove the steering wheel
List of useful products for the pancreas
When the clock is changed to summer time in 2016
Your guide in the world of entertainment: VVC
Walking with children: the basic rules and how to dress a child at different times of the year